HAPPY NEW YEAR, FRIENDS!
First things first! Thank you to all who entered the book giveaway. The winner is Linda C. Congratulations! I will be in touch to get your mailing address and your book selection will soon be on its way! I had so much fun with this giveaway that I’m planning to do more throughout the coming year. Stay tuned!
Now, on to the New Year. Can any of you believe that it is actually 2016?
Out of curiosity, I’m wondering if any of you make New Year’s resolutions. Did you know that one characteristic of highly successful people is that they always develop specific goals to achieve each year? Whether it’s for work or for your personal life, it’s important to have a clear focus for what you hope to accomplish.
I usually try to make a few goals for the upcoming year so here is my list for 2016: (Warning: These are pretty random…)
- Make my bed every day. Seriously, y’all, why is this so hard? It only takes about 90 seconds but apparently I can’t spare that teeny tiny amount of time each morning. When my bed is made, my room looks neater and I feel like I actually accomplished something. 2016 is the year, y’all. I’m going to do this.
- Serve others. Last year, one of my goals was to open our home by having friends over for dinner and/or games once a month. It worked out pretty well until this fall when everyone started getting sick with stomach bugs and strep and terrible colds. It’s hard to host a gathering when you’re wiping snotty noses and cleaning up puke. Just saying. But I would love for this to be a goal for our family again. I enjoy having friends over to hang out and I don’t think once a month is asking too much. I’d also like to find more ways to engage my children in serving others outside our home. I’m open to suggestions if you’ve got any.
- Exercise 4-5 times a week. This doesn’t actually sound too difficult. Until I factor in the fact that the hubs is deployed and I have 3 kids to take care of. Invariably, someone will get sick and then, the next thing I know, I haven’t gotten out of my pjs in 10 days.
- Take time for myself each week. I learned from reading The Fringe Hours that I need to take care of myself before I can properly take care of my family. This “time” for myself may be something grand like getting a massage or pedicure or something seemingly insignificant like reading a good book, writing, or having coffee with a friend. Whatever it is, I’m committing to doing one thing for myself each week.
- Finish praying through the Bible for Brie. Ahem. I’ve been working on this for a couple (or 3?) years now. It is slow going, people. But this year I will finish praying and writing prayers from the Bible for Brienne. I mean, sheesh, I’ve got two more kids to do this for…
- Help my children memorize scripture. I would love to get my kids more engaged with the Bible. When they can recall scripture and then put it to use in their lives, well, nothing can stop them. Hebrews 4:12 says that “God’s word is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword.” I want my kids to learn to wield that sword.
- Read 50 books. Y’all already know I love to read so I think this is an achievable goal. I realize this means I will need to read an average of a book a week for an entire year, but I feel pretty confident I can do it. I have a wish list of almost 90 books so I’ve got plenty to choose from, but suggestions are always appreciated.
- Write, write, and write. I just want to write. And become a better writer. I’m studying writing books and I’ve joined an online writer’s group through Proverbs 31 Ministries. (And apparently I’m trying to see how many times I can use some form of the word “write” in one paragraph.) But my heart’s desire is to share though the written word what I’ve learned with others, so that’s my continued plan for the New Year.
Alright. I think that should do it for my 2016 goals. I realize that these aren’t too exciting but I feel like it’s important to at least have a plan. Even if it gets derailed from time to time. I would love to hear what you hope to accomplish in the upcoming year!